Teachers and school districts are looking for pragmatic, effective, affordable professional development opportunities that get new strategies into the classroom.
Tutor Chest offers Certified Professional Development courses with clock hour credits, as well as short PD workshops for certificates of attendance.
READING AND THE BRAIN (15 CLOCK HOURS) – $99
This course is designed to provide an overview of how the brain creates meaning with print and to describe and demonstrate eight pedagogical strategies. Course goals: As a result of taking this course, students will be able to —
- Describe the salient processes related to creating meaning with print.
- Compare and contrast meaning-first vs. code-first approaches.
- Identify and implement new pedagogical strategies.
- Engage in a reflective analysis and response related to three pedagogical strategies.
DYSLEXIA – SEVERE READING DIFFICULTIES (20 clock hours) – $99
This course examines dyslexia or severe reading disabilities from a psycholinguistic perspective, and it describes the types pedagogical strategies and other elements that are appropriate for reading instruction and interventions with this population. Course goals: As a result of taking this course, students will be able to —
- Understand the condition of dyslexia.
- Implement a variety of pedagogical strategies appropriate for students with dyslexia.
- Describe the type of reading instruction necessary for students with dyslexia.
- Describe the types of strategies used for reading instruction for students with dyslexia.
- Design an appropriate intervention for students with dyslexia.
“THE NEW” MATH – UNDERSTANDING COMMON CORE (1 hour workshop) – $49
This course takes a look at Common Core Math and the power of using multiple representations.